Yield: 16 hand pies
- 1/4 c. apricot jam
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-in. pieces
- 1/3 c. cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 refrigerated rolled pie crusts
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3½-in. apple cookie cutters
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, whisk together jam and vanilla. Add apple and cranberries, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and toss to combine.
- Working between two pieces of parchment paper, roll each crust to ⅛ in. thick. Using a 3½-in. apple-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 8 apples from each pie crust. Place half the cutouts on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Divide apple mixture among cutouts on the prepared sheets (about 2 heaping Tbsp each), placing directly in the center of each cutout. Lightly brush borders with beaten egg.
- If desired, using a small knife, cut small slits or shapes in remaining cutouts. Sandwich filling with scored apple cutouts and press the edges to seal. Brush tops of hand pies with remaining egg, sprinkle with sugar, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.