Just one tablespoon of grated ginger creates unbelievable flavor in this unique pie, bringing out the taste of the blackberries and apples. Make it a modern à la mode by using yogurt, crème fraîche or cinnamon-flecked whipped cream.
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2½ lb. apples, peeled
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. Grated Ginger
- 1 package frozen blackberries
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, salt and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Add the apples and toss to coat.
- Melt the butter in a large (10- to 12-in.) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the blackberries and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and add the apple mixture, mixing until combined. Lay the pie crust over the fruit, brush with the egg, and sprinkle with the cinnamon and remaining 2 Tbsp sugar. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes.